To see who we are and where we’re headed, it helps to know where we started.
1893—The Fryberger office was founded in 1893 by Herschel B. Fryberger, Sr.
1906—Mr. Fryberger moved his growing practice to the seventh floor of Duluth’s Lonsdale Building, which still serves as the firm’s headquarters.
1926—The Wheeler office was established by Amasa E. Wheeler. The Wheeler firm grew to become Wheeler, Burns, Buchanan & Sanford, and served its clients in the areas of corporate, banking, tax and probate law.
1932—Herschel B. Fryberger, Jr. joined his father’s practice.
1960—Nick Smith joined Fryberger and developed a tradition of offering Duluth businesses and families sound legal advice based on hard work and careful preparation.
1967 – James H. Stewart joined the Wheeler office and Dexter A. Larsen joined Nick Smith and Herschel Fryberger at the Fryberger office.
1968— Harold Frederick resigned as Duluth City Attorney to join the firm and help increase Fryberger’s emphasis in the field of government law.
1971—The Fryberger and Wheeler firms merged, which enhanced their versatility in providing comprehensive services. The merged firms eventually became Fryberger, Buchanan, Smith & Frederick, P.A.
1991—Fryberger opened a branch office in St. Paul where attorneys could focus on representing northern Minnesota clients before the legislature and state administrative agencies.
1993—Marked the centennial celebration of the Fryberger law firm.
1995—A branch office was opened in Superior to better meet the legal needs of the firm’s Wisconsin clientele.
2020—Fryberger extended its physical presence to Cloquet and added talented lawyers to the team with the acquisition of the Rudy Law Firm of Cloquet.